"THE ECONOMIC BARRIER MUST BE REMOVED"
Dr. Vernard Gant, Director of ACSI Urban Schools Services
- Nearly 80% of children in the US from low-income homes fail to reach proficiency in reading by 4 th grade.
- Third grade reading scores are the number one predictor of student outcomes and 70% of 3 rd graders reading below grade level will NEVER catch up.
- One in three inner-city children, regardless of academic performance, will not graduate high school.
Statistics like these communicate the need for Downtown Academy in Athens. The US Census Bureau recently ranked Athens-Clarke County as the most impoverished county its size in the nation.
The need in Athens is immense. Downtown Academy intends to help meet that need by providing an unparalleled education for those with the greatest need for it. Downtown Academy strives to provide its families with income-based scholarships up to 95% of tuition. Student scholarships are made possible by donations from individuals like you.
Ways you can be involved:
- Pray for our students, teachers, and administration.
- Donate books and other school materials.
- Volunteer your time and skills.
- Contribute funds for our students.
- Drink coffee! Thanks to Jittery Joe's, you can now purchase coffee and support Downtown Academy at the same time. 100% of the proceeds benefit the children of Downtown Academy. Order your coffee today!